Alien, Foreign, Exotic(potentially a pest)
Introduced, Invasive(potentially a pest)
Attack directly, suck, chew or bite fruits/food
Structural prosbocis(injects in food)
ECONOMIC INJURY LEVEL
TYPES OF PEST
Example of household pest
- Termites destroy furnitures
- Flies lay eggs on food/brings disease
- Cockcroach brings disease to us
Example of Medical pest
- Mosquito brings disease to human like malaria , aedes amd zica
Example of Agriculture pest
- Rhinoceros beetle (Oryctes rhinoceros) attack palm oil
- Utilisation of insect-specific Oryctes Nudivirus (OrNV) used the adults as vectors to spread the virus to other healthy beetles.
- Metarhizium anisopliae was found to be a virulent entomopathogenic fungus against the rhinoceros beetle. Spraying the fungus solutions on the breeding locations was successful in killing up to 80% of the larvae.
- Chemical control
The most common pesticide is cypermethrin, which has been used to manage the rhinoceros beetle in both nurseries and plantations.