What We Know from Research about Reading Instruction for ELLs
* Literacy instruction approaches for mainstream students are not sufficient for ELLS * English oral language development is critical or English literacy development beyond word- skills
- Literacy instruction might be combined with high-quality ESL instruction
- Oral proficiecy and literacy in the first language is an advantage for literacy development in English
- Individual differences contribute significantly to English literacy development.
- Most literacy assessments do a poor job of gauging ELL strenghs ans weaknesses
- Home language experiences can have apositive impact on literacy aspects