Mind map mastery (Tony buzan) - Coggle Diagram
Mind map mastery (Tony buzan)
What is a mind map
3 essential characteristics
thick branches radiating out
single key image or word each branch
paper -> color branch -> label branch -> second-level branch-> another color -> another branches -> add arrow (relationships)-> boundaries
How to mind map
Understanding the laws
1 always use a blank sheet of paper
Draw a picture in the center of paper
use images, symbols, codes and
place each word or image its own branch
Radiate flowing branches out
Keep branches the same length
Use colors throughout
use emphasis, codes, makers, arrows relationship and connecting lines, boundaries, chunks
Aim for clarity
set objective and basic ordering ideas (BOIs)
• Structure – the form of things
• Function – the purpose of things and what they do
• Properties – the characteristics of things
• Processes – how things work
• Evaluation – how beneficial things are
• Definitions – what things mean
• Classification – how things relate to each other
• History – the chronological sequence of events
• Personalities – people’s roles and characters
What is not a mind map
is there a clear central concept?
diagram radiate from centre?
one word per branch?
have any images?
is the mind map natural and organic in appearance? appealing? clear?
is color used throughout?
Ask the Right Question
• Trigger the powers of association and imagination
• Be open, allowing consideration and assessment rather than
closed yes/no responses
• Inspire critical and analytic thinking
• Create clarity
• Challenge assumptions
• Stimulate breakthrough thinking
• Achieve a balance between the content (who? what? when? and
the process (how? why?)
• Inspire a positive reaction