INDIA-MALDIVES by Atrishekhar sir …
by Atrishekhar sir
India is 2nd largest trade partner
Bilateral trade at US $ 246 mn in favour of India
Areas of cooperation
Bilateral eco & trade ties - greater male connectivity project
Security & defence cooperation
Development assistance - indira gandhi hospital
Humanitarian assistance - 2004 tsunami, operation NEER
Greater Male Connectivity Project - The largest civilian infrastructure project in the Maldives.
The project will connect the Maldives’ capital Male with three islands: Villingili, Gulhifalhu and Thilafushi.
India also announced a fresh 100 million USD line of credit for the project.
• High Impact Community Development Projects Scheme which include Maldives Institute of Technical Education, Indira Gandhi Memorial Hospital etc
• To help the Maldives cope with the economic slowdown post-COVID-19 pandemic; India committed a 500 million US Dollar package. The package includes air, sea, intra-island and telecommunications.
• Medical Tourism, cultural exchange, Type II diplomacy etc.
• Geostrategic Positioning of Maldives forms a major component of India’s Neighbourhood First policy and
SAGAR - Security and Growth of All in the Region.
Domestic politics in Maldives
Concerns of expatriate workers
Radicalisation: Over the past ten years or more, more Maldivians have become attracted to terrorist
• Previous political turmoil was a major relationship stressor which includes the “India Out” Campaign.
• China’s strategic presence has grown in the area surrounding India. A significant “pearl” in China’s “Stringof Pearls” strategy in South Asia has emerged as the Maldives.
There are speculations that China may be attempting to establish strategic outposts in the archipelago due to its strategic location in the Indian Ocean
• Concerns of expatriate workers, particularly the unskilled ones, in Maldives.
Significance of maldives for India :
● Geostrategic - Neighbourhood first & SAGAR
● Geopolitical - China’s BRI
● Geoeconomics - sea lanes of communication
● Roel of net security provider
● Regioanl cooperation - SAARC, SASEC, IORA
Upgrading strategic partnership between two nations, India and Maldives signed six agreements including cooperation in the area of cyber security, disaster management, social housing etc. to maintain stability in the Indian Ocean Region.
• In July 2022, the cabinet approved the signing of an MoU for Judicial Cooperation between India and Maldives which will accelerate court digitisation and boost prospects for IT companies and start-ups in both countries.
• Four MoUs in the areas of Developmental Projects, Youth affairs etc had been signed in 2020.
Except for a brief period between February 2012 to November 2018 (when there was pro-China government in Maldives),relations have been close, cordial and multi-dimensional.