Chapter 1: Introduction to Computer Technologies (Today Computer (:red…
Introduction to Computer Technologies
What is Computer?
:check: Multipurpose : electronic device
:check: Accept data, Process data, Produce result & Store data or result
The Computer System
- Data is transmit into a computer through input device such as keyboard, mouse, scanner, digital camera.
- Data is process in CPU according to instruction.
- Use flash drive, CDs, DVDs, etc. to store data.
- Convey information to the user through output device such as on screen, printer, etc.
- Physical part of computer. (Components)
- A collection of instructions that tells the computer how to perform tasks. (Application/System)
Involves building a computer and all that goes into a
3 Main Categories
- Includes all the hardware parts.
Instruction set architecture
- Includes CPU’s functions and capabilities, programming
language, data formats, etc.
- Defines the data processing and storage element/data path and how they should be implemented into the ISA.
as electronic circuits/switches
as electronic switches.
- Computers use
integrated circuit (IC)
- Computers use
The world’s first computers
:checkered_flag: IBM Automatic Sequence Controlled Calculator (Harvard Mark I)
:checkered_flag: Colossus by AlanTuring (British military used it to break German codes during WW2)
:checkered_flag: Electronic Numerical Integrator and Calculator (ENIAC) (US Army used it to calculate artilleries’ trajectories)
:checkered_flag: Universal Automatic Computer (UNIVAC)
:red_flag: Small, powerful, more reliable, less expensive, easier to use.
:fountain_pen: 3D printing
:fountain_pen: Brain computer interface
:fountain_pen: Robots (humanoid robot - Sofia)
:fountain_pen: Interactive e-textile
:fountain_pen: VR headsets
Type of Computer
Mobile computers & devices
:warning: Expensive, big size, heavy, hard to use.