Identify (What is? (The main idea is the "key concept" being…
is the broad, general theme or message. some call the
is the "key concept" being expressed.
That main idea may be stated at the
of the paragraph, in the
, or at the
, major and minor, support the main idea by telling how, what, when, where, why, how much, or how many.
is a group of sentences related to a particular topic, or central theme.
Tips N tricks
Look at the Title
Look at the first and the last sentence
Look for repeated words and phrases
think about its main idea and point.
Circle the words used most often in the paragraph.
Brou, Supporting Sentence is important too
sentences present facts, reasons, examples, definitions, comparison, contrasts, and other pertinent details.
they sell the main idea.
Ask themselves what is the most
about the who or what.
the main idea in 10 words or less.
who or what the paragraph is about.
Conclusion on what to do
determine what the topic of the text is. Then, they will need to work out what it is the writer wants us to understand about that topic.
- Can the student identify a reference to a specific time or period?
- Can the student identify a specific place or a setting?
- Can the student identify a reason or explanation for what happens in the text?
- Can the student identify the person or people the text is about?
- Can the student identify a method or theory in the text?
- Can the student identify the topic or underlying theme of the text?