Chapter 7 : Understanding Interpersonal Communication (Vocabulary…
Chapter 7 : Understanding Interpersonal Communication
How we choose Relational Partners
the scarcity of qualitatively interpersonal communication contributes to its value
Types of Interpersonal Relationships
friendship, family relationships, and romantic partners
Characteristics of Interpersonal Communication
communication that happens when the people talk and listen in ways that maximize the presence of the personal
Communication Patterns in Relationships
-virtually every verbal statement contains both a content message, which focuses on the subject being discussed.
Avoiding. "I've been very busy"
One person can have more power than the others
The person is physically attractive
Eduardo doesn't know Martina well yet, but strikes up a conversation so he can learn more about her
My brothers and I are complete opposites, but we are so much closer than all my other siblings
I told my friends that I was busy with homework but I really jut didn't feel like talking to anyone
The kid in my English class started a conversation with me because we sat next to each other
The line leader in kindergarten directing us where to go
- A mixture of the words phone and snubbing, used to describe episodes in which people pay more attention to their devices than they do to the people around them.
- The degree to which we hold others in esteem.
- A state of closeness between two (or sometimes more) people. Intimacy can be manifested in several ways: physically, intellectually, emotionally, and via shared activities.
- The process of deliberately revealing information about oneself that is significant and that would not normally be known by others.
- The degree of interest and attraction we feel toward and communicate to others. As with all relational messages, immediacy is usually expressed nonverbally.
Social penetration model
- A theory that describes how intimacy can be achieved via the breadth and depth of self-disclosure**
Something that surprised me in the reading was that in the section types of interpersonal relationships, it talks about different kind of friendships that people go through and I could actually relate to it.
There was nothing that bothered me in the reading everything was fine
One thing I wanted to find out more about was communication patterns in relationships because I wanted to know if I could relate to any of the information