Key learning reflection: the study demonstrated three different areas of therapeutic approaches:
Not mentioned in the article – influences for type of osteopath (I believe that it’s not fixed, and depending on certain factors, I will switch between each of these styles):
1. Technical osteopath focused on the practitioner and biomechanical approaches. They have a vested interest in knowledge and their own abilities at influencing the patient directly
2. Communicating osteopath is focused on ensuring that the patient has been listened to & understood. It involves sharing knowledge and is person-centred.
3. Educating osteopath also focuses on the patient but involves helping the patient understand themselves, empowers the patient and moves well beyond the physical elements of the patient. It involves a very holistic approach.
1. temperament of the patient – more longstanding patterns & momentary states
2. my temperament – “...”
3. the nature of the patient/practitioner relationship
4. the patients understanding of their body & health
5. the patients wants/needs from a consultation at that point in time
6. time available
7. number of complaints
8. nature of the complaint