Grammar-translation Method - Coggle Diagram
The principal aim of the grammar translation method was to make language learning easier and the central feature was the replacement of traditional texts by exemplary sentences.
(1) Classes are taught in the mother tongue, with little active use of the target language.
(2) Much vocabulary is taught in the form of lists of isolated words.
(3) Long elaborate explanations of the intricacies of grammar are given.
(4) Grammar provides the rule for putting words together and instructions often focuses on
the form and inflection of the words.
(5) Reading of difficult classical texts is begun early.
(6) Little attention is paid to the content of the texts, which are treated as exercises in
(7) Often the only drills are exercises in translating disconnected sentences from the target
language into the mother tongue
(8) Little or no attention is given to pronunciations.
The objectives of the Grammar Translation Method are to enrich the Latin and Greek literature in order to get the benefit of the mental discipline and intellectual abilities which is the result of the foreign language study.
The students will be more familiar with the grammar of their mother tongue or target language, this familiarity will help them speak and write better.
Main objectives of the Grammar Translation Method
Students are able to read the literature which is written in the targeted language.
They are able to translate from and into the targeted language.
They are able to enhance their skills in reading and writing.
A SAMPLE LESSON
Ask the students to take 5 vocabulary words from their favorite song and then translate it into English.
Ask the students to take down their friends’ conversations in their native language and then translate it into English.
Ask students to memorize at least 5 words per day in English and give their native language equivalent.
HOW TO TAUGHT GRAMMAR?
Translation of literary a passage
- Translating target language, usually a literary passage to native language
-Finding information in a passage, making inferences and relating to personal experience
-Finding antonyms/synonyms for words/sets of words
-Learning spelling/sound patterns that correspond between L1 and the target language
Deductive application of rules
- Understanding grammar rules and their exceptions, and then applying them to new examples
Fill in the blanks
-Filling gaps in sentences with new words/items of a particular grammar type
-memorizing vocab lists, grammatical rules&grammatical paradigms
-students create sentences to illustrate them know the meaning & use of new words
-students write about a topic using the target language