CHAPTER 9: CAREER PLANNING ( (2) Job Searching, Ways to find jobs…
CHAPTER 9: CAREER PLANNING
1) Career Planning
The 6 steps career planning:
• Identify your strengths and interests
• Study what is needed by the market in the next five years
• Identify the industry that you wish to work in
• List the top five organizations in the industry
• Determine the job requirements and criteria identified by the industry and organizations
• Focus on your strengths and develop them as needed
2) Job Searching
Ways to find jobs openings such as:
• Internet job searching, career websites and online advertisements
• University career centres
• Governments agencies
• Internship programmes
• Cold calls
3) Getting the Job
i. Resume and Covering Letter
• There are 3 formats of resume which are chronological, function and combination.
• Information that need to be include in the Resume are contact details, career objectives, qualifications, education level, work experiences and any other certificates.
• Cover letter sent together with the resume that only be one page long, starting salary should be stated and do not write the contents of your resume in the letter.
ii. Job interviews
The employer would evaluate the potential employee and see whether the candidates has the skills and capabilities that are required for the job.
a) Employee can do some homework before the interview:
• Check on what are the requirements that are needed for the vacancy
• What is the usual job description for particular position
• Check on the norms & culture of the organization it self
• Should study the common interview question & the answer that you should provided
• Study the dress code of the organization
b) Main reasons candidates fail at interviews:
• Do not shows up on time
• Lack of preparation
• Unable to give a positive vibe during the interview
• Fail to control facial expression
4) Starting a New Job
• Making the first impression
• Learning the rope
• Showing teamwork
• Showing commitment
• Displaying positive attitude
5) Switching Jobs
Before accepting the new job, evaluate on the cost and effect of the new job:
• Are you willing to face the challenges?
• Is the new company stable in terms of funds and business?
• How stable is your position?
• Is there a guarantee on opportunities for advancement?
• What are the chances of promotion like in the new organization?