CHAPTER 8: THINKING SKILLS ( (CRITICAL THINKING, Definition: ability to…
CHAPTER 8: THINKING SKILLS
Definition: Thinking skills are the cognitive processes that involve the application of mental and intellectual abilities to make sense of experiences.
CONCEPT OF RIGHT BRAIN AND LEFT BRAIN
Right side of the brain
• More dominant in performing tasks of emotion and creativity
• Example: Facial recognition, expression and emotions, music, colours, images, arts and intuition.
• right-brained individuals often perceived to be more intuitive and thoughtful
Left side of the brain
• Performs better tasks of logic, language, critical thinking, analytical thinking, numbers, reasoning and references.
• left brained individuals is said to be more logical and analytical
Definition: ability to think critically involving attitude, subjects, knowledge and skills
Definition: The thinking analysis and assessment enables one to raise the thinking to a higher level.
• Defer judgement when looking for ideas
• Think of and come up with all possible ideas and options
• Note down, list down and record all ideas in a proper written form
• Constantly elaborate and improve on thoughts or ideas
• Give some space and time for our mind to come up with ideas and nurture them
Definition:Lateral thinking is an unconventional problem solving method, which employs an indirect and creative technique.
Idea Generating Tools
• These tools are used to break the existing thinking patterns by challenging and provoking ideas and generating alternatives
• These tools are used to assist in focusing on where to search for new ideas
• These tools are used to manage the idea output and maximize the value received
• These tools are used to strengthen ideas
Definition: Mind mapping is a creative method of organizing thoughts and ideas.
• The use of visual and graphical representation of ideas stimulates the
thinking process in a sequential, orderly, organized and systematic manner.
• This technique facilitates the ideas and thoughts by allowing ideas to flow freely,
expand and develop in one’s mind.