CHAPTER 5: HUMAN RELATIONS SKILLS AND EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION (…
CHAPTER 5: HUMAN RELATIONS SKILLS AND EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION
Definition: Relationships, dealings as well as interactions among individuals. Human relations skills determine every aspect of one’s life. Human relations skills have a huge impact on others.
IMPORTANCE OF WORKPLACE
• Higher productivity
• More information sharing
• Strong work culture
• Less work conflict
• Positive relationships
CHALLENGES IN CREATING POSITIVE HUMAN RELATIONS
• Developing self-awareness
• Developing trust
• Cultivating mutual respect
• Developing team dynamics
• Cultivating positive thinking
COMMUNICATION: The process of transferring information between two parties, and both parties agree on and understand the information shared.
• Expresses the personality of the writer as well as the organization one represents and works with.
• Helps in avoiding delays, red tape and other formalities.
• Adds additional information and clues to oral communication messages.
• Passive Style
• Aggressive Style
• Assertive Style
• Passive Aggressive Style
: Ability to listen, understood and not misinterpreted the message.
TIPS TO BE AN ACTIVE LISTENER
• maintain eye contact
• do not interrupt
• practice empathy
• remove distractions
• give feedback
• ask questions
• Ensure that all information is correct.
• Ensure what is written is polite
• Remember to say ‘please’ and ‘thank you’
• Control your tone
• Introduce yourself
• Pick up the phone in three rings
• Be polite
• Ensure that you have your notebook and pen for note taking
• Be careful with abbreviations
• Avoid this mode for discussion purposes. Meant for information sharing only.