Lord of the Flies: Context (War // Cold war (The Island became a metaphor…
Quotes - Evil:
- MAN PRODUCES EVIL AS A BEE PRODUCES HONEY
- "I wanted to show how the shape of the society they evolved would be conditioned by their diseased, their fallen nature"
- The boys try to construct a civilisation although it ends in blood and terror because they are suffering from a terrible disease of being human.
- "The only enemy of man is inside him"
- Man is a being, he is gripped by original sin
- “Didn’t you hear what the pilot said? About the atom bomb? They’re all dead.” - Beginning of novel to directly reference
Quotes - totalitarian regime:
- "I am a European and an optimist"
- 'Vileness beyond all words, year after year, in the totalitarian states"
- " There are always enough silly people in any country to form a sizeable mass movement."
- Jack was the head choir boy, top of the hierarchy, even though the schools structure breaks down on the island, the boys still see him as a leader. They follow his commands and are scared to disobey him.
- Due to Jack being head boy he believes he should be the leader - e.g. he can sing 'C sharp' what makes him superior.
- Roger could have been the school bully although in the island he does not have any restrictions.