CHAPTER 2 (5S PRINCIPLE ( Support/Maintenance
Reduce variability, unplanned downtime and costs. Integrate daily shine tasks with preventive maintenance.
Review periodically to recognize efforts and to motivate to sustain progress
Standardize equipment and tooling so that cross-training time and cost are reduced
Clean daily ; eliminate all forms of dirt, contamination and clutter from the work area.
Arrange and use methods analysis tool to
improve work flow and reduced wasted motion.
Label and display for easy use only what is needed
in the immediate work area.
Keep what is needed and remove
everything else from the work area.
Types of Waste
- Waiting time
- Underutilized Human
Waste is anything other than the MINIMUM amount of people, time, equipment, material, parts, and space required to ADD VALUE to the product.
Efficient, sustainable production
minimizes input and maximize output
What are the 5S???
Simple and produces:
- Increase quality
- Increase productivity
- Cleaner workplace, safer workplace
- Earlier identify of abnormal business situation
Keys to workplace organization,
housekeeping, visual management.
develop 5S teams
- R1. Leaders must lead. Everyone involved.
- R2. Everyone must be trained in 5S
- The “Islands of Excellence”
Using the Grading
or Recognition Teams.
Establish plant wide discipline
& org baseline that supports
all improvement activities
Improve safety & pride
in the work place. Improve
quality and productivity.
“Islands of Excellence”,
World Class Enterprise.
- Eliminates excess equipment & inventory
- Reduced absenteeism
- Fewer equipment breakdowns & longer life
- Better understanding of equipment conditions
- Fewer defects and higher quality
- Defects are made obvious
- Efficient and effective organization
- Improves production schedules
- Motion and waste reductions
- Saves time, cost, and makes workplace easier
- Improve Visuals
- Brainstorm better visuals
- Photograph completed area
- Create a “to do” list
- Conduct final 5S Audit using scorecard
- Assign ownership of completed area
LACK OF 5S
- Hides safety problem
- Creates waste
- Limits a company’s ability
to satisfy their customers.