CSR (The four complications (The fourth is that governments try to use…
The four complications
The fourth is that governments try to use CSR to tackle social and environmental issues. The problem being that there isnt a specific definition acceptable to business yet drives behavioral change.
The first comes from business, can the company accurately claim to be socially responsible?
The second comes from the various academic attempts at the definition. Its focus being description and classifications. Sometimes these descriptions fail to address the core issue.
An international private business selfregulation. management practice and an approach to improving the dialogue concerning the social contribution of business.
Why must we define it?
corporate profitability and economic stability, to the organization of work and safety and ultimately, the preservation of the ecology
-Defining CSR is an important and urgent task.
-The legal, financial and political investments make its definition an imperative.
-Defining CSR as international private business regulation answers that imperative and provides a unifying framework. (we do this by comparing it to public regulation)
-The political agendas in CSR provide both important contributions as well as creates obstacles to reaching a clear definition.
-Defining CSR as regulation identifies the nature
of the complexity.
- Defining CSR as a international private
business regulation provides clarity for behavioral focuses. It provides a genus or foundation and
both differentia and species.
-Today CSR is largely private self-regulation, there are calls for and efforts to change aspects of CSR into other types of regulation such as public regulation.
Consider a second layer of complexity which is introduced when attention is shifted to determine the degree or extent to which harms should be addressed.
- it can be defined as sacrificing profits.
2.It can be easily lost in the vast literatures as well as the hot debate.
- Many say it is nothing more than an empty shell.
- CSR is sometimes viewed as just a management function
- CSR research is usually carried out within disciplinary silos.
- Focusing on the environmental aspects of CSR, can allow corporations to work under inhumane work conditions and other difficult social aspects.
- Many people argue against defining it because they say that it is a voluntary practice.
Understanding CSR as Regulation and its Implications.
Defining CSR as international private business self-regulation is not well explored.
It is easier to analyze when comparing it to public regulation. (Regulation created by public entities such as the government)
Understand CSR as regulation brings a whole range of regulatory theory and tools to the analysis including
account of motivations and drivers of behavior.
Also understanding CSR as regulation is adjudication.
Adjudication is connected to compliance and
enforcement. Accomplished through boycotts, bullying,
Attempting to reach a common usage or consensus for CSR is unfruitful.
- We must define a genus and and differentia
(genus) We identify the genus by examining approaches to matters of science and knowledge.
- Identify wether it is new knowledge or adds to existing knowledge
-‘‘essentially contested concept.’’ A concept that cannot be defined because its core is debated
1. Their appraisive character.
2. Internal complexity.
3. Diverse describability.
5. reciprocal recognition of their contested
character among contending parties.
6. an original exemplar that anchors conceptual
7. progressive competition, through which greater
coherence of conceptual usage can be achieved.
Viewing CSR as a wider social dialogue supports the genus
- With the genus now established we can understand the differentia.
(differentia) It is a matter of legal analysis. What type of law is it? law or regulation?
-we may define CSR as a type of international private self-regulation.
- We go from differentia to species
restricted by analyzing the actors
-The species can be derived from two discrete analyses.
-First, an analysis of the substantive content of the regulation provides insight.
-Second, the analysis of species can be more carefully