THE ECONOMIC BENEFITS OF THE USE OF ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY WHEN LIVING WITH MENTAL ILLNESS
The report, from the Swedish Institute of Assistive Technology (SIAT) “Kostnadsnytto- bedömning av hjälpmedel till personer med psykisk funktionsnedsättning” (Åke Dahlberg 2010), refers to the following economic gains from the use of assistive technology devices that support mental functions of people living with mental illness:
• The need for help from staff in social and health care, as well as from family members, is reduced by approximately one hour per week per person.
• Disabled people who have a job nd it easier, by the support of relevant assistive technology devices, to keep their jobs, and are even able to work longer hours.
• Unemployed people with minor disabilities have a greater chance of getting a job.
• The analysis of expenses and bene ts by the use of a PDA, a ball blanket and an AAC device shows that the expenses are earned back within a year.
• The assistive technology devices can also reduce the use of healthcare services, the need for psychiatric help and medical costs. Furthermore, the users of assistive technology are to a greater extent able to live in their own homes and thus reduce the use of special housing.