How do batteries store energy and how can we optimize them for a…
How do batteries store energy and how can we optimize them for a particular use? What trade-offs exist in their performance?
Checkpoint 1 Potato Battery
"How does the arrangement of batteries affect voltage/current?"
Potato battery engage
first hands-on experience: seeing voltage, current, and changes of them
[“How do electrons move in a circuit connected to a battery?"]
"what materials do you need?" "made a battery // what is this measurement (voltage and current?)
[make initial model on handout w. voltage layered on]
Potato battery revisited
Brainstorm: "What is current measuring?" "From where to where is current flowing?"
[revise model on handout w. current layered on]
Series / parallel and phet activity
circuit activity (phet activity)
confirm/revise: "What is current measuring?" "From where to where is current flowing?"
model and paste work into CP1
Checkpoint 4: Design Cycles
How can I optimize the voltage/current/capacity of a battery?
Final Product 3
"How can I identify relevant and reliable sources of science information?"
Why is battery technology important? What is the current state of battery technology?
PERFORMANCE TASK #:
PARTICLE MODEL OF A BATTERY
[Modeling & JCE]
model of battery at different stages [charged/charging/dead]
["If there were no constranits what would your ideal battery consist of and why?]
5 days total with these student-specific outcomes:
- students come to understand that electrons are generated at the anode of a battery
- students come to understand that electrons are consumed at the cathode of a battery
- students come to understand that the anode and cathode represent half-cell, equilibrium reactions
- students come to understand that coupled half-cell reactions give rise to voltage and current
- students apply this knowledge and are able to manipulate electrochemical cells to produce a desired outcome (e.g., changes in V/I)