4.4 Prevention measures (4.4.2 Logical - Access Rights + Permission can be…
4.4 Prevention measures
- Devices such as laptops,smart phones and tablets has Bio metric protection measures.
- This is where the characteristics of the owner is stored.
- This is used to access a device .
- The device check against the characteristics for a match .
- If it matches the access is granted if not the access is denied.
Data Encryption Software
- Encrypts data so the users that with the encryption code/key can read /use the data that has been transmitted.
- Secret key must be kept secure + accessed by trustworthy people
- data can be saved + stored in an encrypted form. The secret key will be needed to unlock the data .
Secure backups of data
Emerging Measure/technology- The Cloud
- Made during regular intervals + kept secretly.
- A retailer may back up files + data everyday.
- Banks + financial institution use real time to back up.
- Back ups can be made using portable storage media.
- Medium used will depend on the amount of data + information.
- Writable CD's/DVDs + USB memory stick have limited storage capacity.
- Tape drives + extra hard disks used to store the back ups + archives of large businesses - they are expensive.
- Used as an online back up.
- Back ups stored on servers managed by external companies.
- Charge is made for this, data security + providing the servers.
- This low cost than paying for in-house IT technicians to manage + run back up systems/buying + maintaining dedicated back - up servers.
- Detect viruses before it gets into a computer system.
- Viruses is detected then the software is quarantine (put) or asks the user to what action should be taken.
- Must be kept up to date - its up to date when it is bought + installed.
- New viruses are created all the time,so patches are released to reduce the risk from new viruses.
- Automatic scheduled anti virus scans can detect viruses that have not been detected by the anti virus software.
4.4.3 Secure Destruction of data
- Data is securely destroyed for legal reason but can be still retrieved if data deleted using operating system software.
- Software is used to overwrite the data with random meaningless data, usually binary 1/0.
- Used with physical storage devices.
- Storage device can be reused.
A Magnetic Wipe
- Removes the magnetic field part of a storage device.
- makes the data unreadable, but means the the storage device becomes unusable.
- secure storage device but expensive way to delete data.
- The device is thoroughly destroyed where the data cannot be recovered.
- Done by using:
- A hard drive shredder which shreds hard drives.
- A drill through or hammer on the storage device.
- A steam roller to run over the hard drive
paper based forms containing personal + confidential data must be destroyed .
- Done by paper shredder or by burning.