3.5 The use of data, the applications and interaction of data stores, and…
3.5 The use of data, the applications and interaction of data stores, and the benefits and drawbacks of the use of data
Big Data - Extremely large data sets that can be analysed computationally to reveal patterns, trends and associations , specially relating to human behavior and interactions.
e.g. Netflix, Starbucks , Amazon use big data, Cloud
- Found on roads and motorways
- Takes measurement of the speed of a vehicle
- If the vehicle is travelling at or below the speed limit there is no action taken
- If the speed limit is broken, the camera takes a picture of the number plate
- number plate is looked up using the DVLA database
- Speeding notice is sent to the registered owner of the vehicle.
- Used to monitor what is happening in the streets, shopping center,railway stations and airports
- video screen is linked to the CCTV camera
- Suspicious activity is spotted and passed to the emergency services who will deal with the problem.
- CCTV camera link to facial recognition system held by the police and other security services.
- Facial - recognition system allow the security services to track people they feel suspicious or whom they want to arrest.
Automatic Number Plate Recognition
Checks the number pate of every vehicle and interacts with DVLA to check:
If there is an problem with the vehicle, an alert is displayed on the device ANPR screen in the police car.
- who is the owner of the vehicle
- If they have a current driving licence
- If the car is taxed and insuranced
- If the vehicle has a current MOT
- Use data to see how well the students are doing and their progress they have made.
- Many colleges + universities offers MOOCs( Massive Open Online Course
- Data + information entered by the students when completing is collected.
- This is processed + analysed to give a grade when they have completed the course.
- Changes to the course can be made based on the data + information that is collected.
- Schools in some countries use data that has been collected to help with their students studies.
- Data that is stored and accessed through the Cloud can be accessed + downloaded when it is not possible to use primary sources. to collect the required data.
Health and Fitness
- Wearable technology such as fit bit is used to track fitness progress
- Research teams based worldwide research about diseases and illnesses, then they share data. This data is collected, shared and processed so that it can be shared through the Cloud.
- Apps can be used to collect data. So people with specific medical condition can input their readings. (blood glucose levels for people with type one diabetes)
- This data is collected by wider range of people research team, otherwise research teams have to collect data themselves.
- Retailers capture data + information when the shopper use a loyalty card.
- Collected data is stored + processed to identify any shopping habits and to identify which product should be on special offer.
- Data collected at checkouts or online shopping baskets .
- Provides details of every product sold.
- Manufactures use this data to target marketing, advertising and special offers.
- Big data is collected when people go to the cinema to watch a film or music when it is streamed to the people through a digital or satellite TV channel.
- Film and TV producers can see how popular box sets have been
- Film + TV programs are made based on the data collected
- This data can be analysed to predict what type of programs, films, + music people want to watch or listen to.
- Done by looking at the viewing history, ratings, searches, reviews + at the device the content is watched or listened to on.
- Satellite TV companies use data to suggest programs the viewer might like to see based on the previous viewing patterns.
- Music - streaming websites also suggest tracks + artists based on the individual's past music downloads.
- Cars that call automatically for help
- Solar panels on the roofs feeding power back into the National Grid.
- Connected houses
SOS button found in the car, if it is pressed a signal is sent to the manufacture's assistance team.
- Which means the position of the car is provided, so an assistance can be sent.
- The registration number of the car will be located, if it is up to date contact details available can be used to contact the owner of the car.
- A tracking system can be activated if the car is stolen.
- A signal is sent to the tracking assistance team and the police providing the location of the car.(if it is driven/ the route being taken)
- This help to recover stolen cars.