PBL 3: The False Used of Molecular in Genetics Leads to Unimaginable Future
PBL 3: The False Used of Molecular in Genetics Leads to Unimaginable Future
Fact : Located off the coast of Costa Rica, the Jurassic World luxury resort provides a habitat for an array of genetically engineered dinosaurs, including the vicious and intelligent Indominus rex, the park's newest attraction.
A new, genetically modified hybrid mutant dinasour that created from DNA of
Abelisaurs, Tyrannosaurus, Velociraptor, Giganotosaurus, Rugops, Majungasaurus, Carnotaurus
, Cuttlefish, Tree frog and Pit Adder.
What Animal DNA was used for
and what are the hybrid dinosaurs’s abilities ?
Provided a powerful musculature - including heavy tail and jaws
Capable of crushing bone
Paired with agile and swift movement
- making Indominus bigger and tougher than a standard Tyrannosaur. Enormous 40ft+ size (Giganotosaurus), more teeth (Majungasaurus) ultra-tough bony osteoderms (Rugops) with "hornlike" growths (Carnotaurus) over the eyes and along the back for defensive protection.
Cuttlefish - Camouflage. Alteration of skin pigmentation, through the combined efforts of chromatophores and reflective iridophores and leucophores, Indominus could blend into the surrounding environment - reducing visibility while hunting.
Tree Frog - Thermoregulation through color alteration and lowered metabolic functions to avoid infrared detection
Pit Adder - Infrared vision allowing the apex predator to sense hidden or obscured prey
Large forelimbs with opposable thumbs -
DNA was indicated to give larger forelimbs and modern DNA source possibly Phyllomedusa tree frogsto provide the hybrid with improved hand functionality and dexterity.
- Above-average intellect to sense patterns in paddock security by utilizing inherited traits to exploit vulnerabilities and to be able communicate with normal raptors and given the hybrid's size and durability, secure a place as the new pack alpha.
Electromagnetic distortion - assume that somewhere in the Indominus rex DNA cocktail is an animal (past or present) that can interfere with electronic signals.
Why did the scientists decided on creating the new hydbrid of the dinasour which is
, and how they manage to do it?
To boost the amount of visitors in Jurassic World. Therefore, the shareholders of the park invested on the research of the new invented species of the dinosaur for the sake of good profit.
is a hybrid of modified genetics. The scientists believe that they already dominate the field of genetics and advances time by time especially in gene mixing, ever since he (Dr. Wu) learned that the inclusion of frog DNA had given the dinosaurs the ability to switch gender.
they applied the knowledge and come out with the design of the “perfect dinosaur” by combining and mixing the DNA of some dinosaur genera and modern animals that have specific abilities that can be advantageous for the new species.
What are the advantages and disadvantages on having the idea to create the hybrid?
The advances in technologies of genetics modification can help humans to generate ideas in any problems regarding human health such as disease treatment. Economic infrastructure also can be boost up such as the agriculture industry.
Specific traits can be developed. Therefore, it can produce fitter animals or species so that it can survive in marginal conditions or poor climates, preserving human food supplies and saving life.
The existence of biological weapon which can be use for self-interest (military weapon)
It can change the evolution of species.
Breeding different species for a particular trait can lead to a risk of losing some of the other genes from the genetic pool, which is altogether very difficult to bring back.
The knowledge and technology can be easily abused. Genetic engineering can change specific traits, which could create human outcomes that are ethically questionable or easily abused.
What are the ability of this hybrid?
1) They can run at the speed up to 30 mph.
2) Their roar sound can reach 140 db - 160 db.
3) Have spiky osteoderms across its body and horn that can withstand fire.
4) Sickle shaped claws that help them during hunting.
Facts : Massive creature of gigantic prehistoric whale ancestor,
, and the raptor.
1) What are the long term effects of this problem to the environment as a whole?
The existence of gigantic prehistoric whale ancestors, T. rex and the raptor has create an imbalance to the ecosystem as they might outcompete the other existed creatures in the present. These gigantic creatures are predators thus requiring food sources or preys in which may be higher in sizes as how they were during prehistoric time. The unmatched partner of prey-predator relationships over the long run might contribute to massive extinction of species and the food web collapsed eventually.
2) What is the gigantic prehistoric whale ?
The gigantic prehistoric whale is called mosasaurus and the species existed 27 million years ago. The mosasaurus may have been real but it was not a dinosaur, mosasaurus were bunch of ginormous sea lizards
3) What is the gigantic prehistoric whale ?
In real life, it grew up to 50 feet in length.
Stomach contents of mosasaurus reveal ammonites, bony fish, sea turtle, plesiosaurs, and sea bird.
4) What is the physical appearance of gigantic prehistoric whale ?
Mosasaurus were sleek, and streamlined. They had flippers like paddles for arms and legs and also a tail fin. Mosasaurus were also covered in smooth scales which were very dark in colour.
5) What is
T. Rex or Tyrannosaurus rex was one of the largest meat-eating dinosaurs that ever lived and is a genus of coelurosaurian theropod dinosaur.
6) What is the size of
The most complete specimen measures up to 12.3 m (40 ft) in length, up to 3.66 meters (12 ft) tall. T. Rex have thick, heavy skull to its 4 foot long (12 meter) jaw, was designed for maximum bone crushing action.
7) What is the size and the diet of
T. rex was a very big meat-eating dinosaur, called a carnivore and have been at the top of the food chain. T. Rex also a cannibal, T. Rex didn't just eat other dinosaurs but also each other.
Facts: As an animal ecologist, what would be your best advices and recommendations to the resort management to overcome this problem.
Provide a proper guideline and expertise for better management of the species
The resort management should concernsthe risks of bringing the existence the prehistoric animals into recent days. A detail of proper guidelines and information regarding the species ecology, its behaviour, population dynamics and management information are important to minimize the risks and negative impacts towards environment. Other than that, an expertise should be hired as an effort to provide better management and control of the specific species
is a genetically modified giant stealth killing machine but escapes containment and goes on a killing spree.
What makes the Indominus rex to go on a killing spree after escaping from the containment?
The hybrid dinosaur was raised in isolation, denied the ability to hunt, with no positive human (or dinosaur) relationship to keep the creature in check. Without insight into the dinosaur’s genetic makeup, park staff was unable to accurately predict and account for the creature’s dangerous blend of evolutionary traits.
Like most carnivores, tyrannosaurs probably both scavenged and hunted
The estimated of the maximum potential bite force of
, which is between about 183,000 and 235,000 N for a bilateral bit.
Facts: Facts: As an animal ecologist, what would be your best advices and recommendations to the resort management to overcome this problem.
Resort management need to provide the most suitable habitat for this
1) Identify and avoid prey that can trigger them to hunt in the area of their habitats.
2) Build the most resistant shield to limit the boundary between the man-made habitats and outside world.
3) Know the ability of this species and the harm that they can caused if no precaution was taken.
Provide a proper guideline and expertise for better management of the species :
1) Resort management should concern the risks of bringing the existence the prehistoric animals into recent days. A detail of proper guidelines and information regarding the species ecology, its behaviour, population dynamics and management information are important to minimize the risks and negative impacts towards environment.
2) An expertise should be hired as an effort to provide better management and control of the specific species