What is depression and what can I do about it? - Coggle Diagram
What is depression and what can I do about it?
Depression is a mood disorder that involves a persistent feeling of sadness and loss of interest.
Depression is an ongoing problem, not a passing one.
Depression can last for several weeks, months, or years.
Signs and symptoms
• a loss of sexual desire
• reduced interest or pleasure in activities once enjoyed
• sleeping too much or too little
• agitation, restlessness, and pacing up and down
• a depressed mood
• unintentional weight loss or gain
• slowed movement and speech
• fatigue or loss of energy
• feelings of worthlessness or guilt
• difficulty thinking, concentrating, or making decisions
• recurrent thoughts of death or suicide, or an attempt at suicide
• changes in the brain’s neurotransmitter levels
• psychological and social factors
• genetic features
• environmental factors
• additional conditions, such as bipolar disorder
Food and diet
Brain stimulation therapies
Types of depression
Persistent depressive disorder
Major depressive disorder with seasonal pattern