Ethical Decision Making Process, Question Gut Facts Stakeholders …
Ethical Decision Making Process
1. Recognise and define the ethical question
what is the ethical question?
eg should I tell me supervisor.
2. "What is my 'gut' reaction?"
first reaction on an emotional level
eg what are you assumptions and biases?
3. Gather the relevant facts/data
gather facts you know
gather facts you need to know
4. Who are the stakeholders and what are their values?
Examine the shared and competing values, obligations, and interests of the many stakeholders
A stakeholder is someone who will be
by the decision to be made
6. Decide on an action.
"What do I think is the best option based on the core values of the stakeholders?"
"What should I do?"
Problem-solve practical alternative.
"What are my options?"
7. Act on a morally acceptable choice.
"What justifies my choice?"
Analyze risk and benefits of four ethical principles and rules
OT Code of Ethics and OT Code of Conduct
8. Evaluate and reflect on the process, action, results
What have I learned from this case to help improve future patient care?
What would I do differently if faced with the same situation again?