Chp 8 Aggression
Chp 8 Aggression
Influences in Aggression
Aggression Cues (Environmental)
Media Influences: Pornography and sexual violence
- positive, constructive helpful social behaviour.
Television and violence / Pornography plot
- emotional cleansing by expressing repressed emotions so it won't cause neurotic problems.
- feeds on one emotion or another, depending on how person interprets and label the arousal (varies).
Attacks & Insults by others
Violent Video Games
Gender and Aggression
- Men are more violent than women due to higher testosterone levels
Social Scripts and Social Representation
- Social Identity Theory
Theories of Aggression
Response to Frustration
- redirection of aggression to target than source
- arousal transferred to another situation > heightened excessive behaviour.
- Frustration triggers aggression
Revised Frustration-aggression Theory
- frustration produces anger and emotional readiness to aggress
- likely to lash out when aggressive cues commence
- arises when someone who frustrates us could have chosen to act otherwise.
- feel less well off than others when comparing to them = frustration
Aggressive Behaviour is Learned
Family Environment and Parenting
Finds that aggression pays (beneficial)
Culture - Social Environment
Biologically Based Aggressive Drive
Impellance (dispositional and situation factors)
Instigation (being provoked)
Improving relationships within families
Education about effects of war and genocide
Implementing certain measures; controlling alcohol use
What is Aggression?
Defines behaviour that is destructive in some way, causing harm or injury.
Types of Aggression