Brandenburg Concerto No.5 in D major (Harmony (Each main section ends in a…
Brandenburg Concerto No.5 in D major
Each main section ends in a perfect cadence
Dominate and tonic pedals underline the various changes of key in the central B section
Simple chords are elevated by notes of melodic decoration.
Simple, diatonic chords - mainly in root and first inversion along with dominate 7th
Bach didn't write many dynamic markings instead used texture and build up for the same effect
This is called terraced dynamics
The texture of the A section could be described as fugato
The movement is contrapuntal
Triplets and dotted rhythms dominate
The movement is in the style of gigue (a fast dance)
The movement is in 2:4 time but triplet quavers make is seem motre like 6:8 time
The tempo is allegro (fast) and doesn't change
The melody includes frequent uses of sequences and two types of ornament:
The entire movement is based on on triadic and scalic (step wise) ideas heard in the first few bars.
The A section modulates to A major
The middle section (B) modulates from B minor to F# minor then to A minor
A (bars 1-78)
A passage of music like the opening section of a fugue (One single instrument)
A (bars 233-310)
Repeated apart from the D-major chord at the start.
B (bars 79-232)
Separated by modulating episodes
When the harpsichord is not used it takes place as a basso continuo, playing chords indicated by a figured bass (a group of instruments that play the part of a continuo).
This concerto is the first to feature a solo harpsichord
This might have been for himself to play in order to show off his new harpsichord by the court were he worked.
The accompaniment (ripieno):
A small orchestra with parts for violin, viola, cello and violone.
Three solo instrumentsc(concertino):
This work is a concerto grosso
They weren't published until 1850
They were original intended to be played by a small court orchestra but were properly never performed.
This is the last movement
He sent these movements to the Margrave of Brandenburg in Germany in 1721.