Geography (Water Cycle and Rivers (Key Words (Permeable-Lets water soak…
Water Cycle and Rivers
-Lets water soak through.
-Rainwater that is soaked down through the ground and fills the cracks.
-water in gas form. Infiltration-the soaking of water into the ground.
-the soaking of rainwater into the ground
-to change from a gas to a liquid
-the change from a liquid to a gas
-water falling from the sky (rain,hail,snow,sleet)
-Does not let water pass through
Drainage basin key terms
Main River Chanel
-the main river where all the smaller rivers flow into
-the starting point of the river
-a smaller river that flows into a bigger one
-the bend in the river
-an imaginary line separating one drainage basin from another
-The part where the river flows into a lake sea or an ocean
-The point where 2 rivers join
- The river bed and banks dissolve into the river water
- fast flowing water is forced into cracks. The air is compressed. The pressure weakens the banks, and over time it breaks away
- Fast flowing river water causes rocks and stones to nock into each other
- When sand and stones are carried along the river and scrapes the bed and banks and wares them away
Settlement Site Advantages
- A good place to grow crops-A good harvest-Animal friendly-A large area with lots of land-Good soil for growing crops
Settlement Site Disadvantages
- Destroys crops by building on the land.
- 1. Conurbation-New York 2. City-Gloucester, Coventry 3. Town-Warwick, Stratford-upon-Avon 4. Village-Wellesbourne, Claverdon 5. Hamlet-Hill Wooten 6. Isolated Dwelling-One house or Farm and no services.
Settlement Key Terms
-Countryside, Villages, Farms -
-Towns, Cities, Built Up -
-Coast, Natural, Landforms -
4-Figure Grid Reference
- Always give the number at the left of the square before giving the number at the bottom of the square
6-Figure Grid Reference
- Always walk to figure 3 and climb to figure 6
Height Shown on maps
-Joins all the places of equal height
-Using colour for different heights of land.
-Places where the height has been measured
-An actual pillar at the highest point
World and UK Maps
- Ireland-Scotland-Wales-Northern Ireland-England