C3: Information System, Organization, and Strategy (Features of
C3: Information System, Organization, and Strategy
Routines and Business Process
aka standard operating procedures: rules to cope with virtually expected situation
- Employees learn -> be productive and efficient -> firm reduce cost as efficiency increase
Managers to handle organizational politics in implementing information system
- different position + specialties + perspectives on how to distribute resources, rewards and punishments.
- managers and employees struggle for own interest ie resources
- Political resistance in resisting change of information system investment
Assumptions about what products should be produced, how, where and for whom.
- Rarely publicly announced
- Restrain political conflict, promote understanding, common practices.
- Powerful restrain on change, avoid making changes in basic assumptions.
Environment from which organization draw resources to supply goods and services.
- Organization depends on physical + social environment
- Must correspond to environment ie legislative, customers, competitors
Information system for environmental scanning
- help to identify external changes in environment that requires organizational response
- new products, tech, public taste
Technology which result in business innovation to radically change the environment and landscape
- substitute products perform better than anything currently produced.
- eg. computers for typewriter
- First movers often cannot profit much as they lack resources to exploit tech.
- Fast followers made the enhancement, get more profit
small firm in changing environment.
- simple structure, managed by sole CEO
large firm in a slow changing environment
- produce standard products
- centralized decision making and management team
combination of multiple departments, producing different product and services
- topped by central headquarters
knowledge based organization
- products and service depends on knowledge
- dominate by department heads, weak centralized authority
task force respond rapidly to environmental change
- short-lived multidisciplinary team
Synergy, Core Competencies, Network-Based Strategies