Chap 5 P3: Information Processing Theory + "The Knowledge Gap"…
Chap 5 P3: Information Processing Theory + "The Knowledge Gap"
b) Knowledge Gap
The infusion （灌输） of mass media information into a social system.
Increase access to mass media will increase the gap between those who have access and those do not.
Knowledge is not distributed equally throughout the society.
a) Information Processing Theory: McGuire (1968)
Attitude changes involves 6 stages.
3) The receiver will comprehend（理解） the message.
4) The receiver yields to and is convinced by the arguments presented.
2) The receiver will attend to the message.
5) The newly adopted position is retained.
1) The persuasive messages must be communicated.
6) The desired behavior takes place.
5 reason for "The Knowledge Gap"
3) Differences in relevant social contact.
More education = More social integration （社会融合）
Able to understand public issues better.
4) Selective Expossure
Educated person knows how to make use of medium, and able to be aware about current issue.
2) Differences in amount of stored information.
Exposure , similar / related experience.
5) Mass media Preferences (Media Target Markets)
People who have access to mass media are the priority to gets info using mass media.
1) Differences in Communication Skills and Social-economic status.
As a person receives more education, communication skill increases, information gathering will be much easier.
Reading, understanding, memory skills increase = Able to understand the issue better.