Chap 5: P2 Uses & Gratifications（满足） Theory (b) 5 Basic Assumptions:…
Chap 5: P2 Uses & Gratifications（满足） Theory
An approach that try to provide a framework in order to understand :
2) The consequences of increases/ decreases involvement.
1) When/ How different media consumers become more / less active.
*What people do with media. (considers as a social needs)
Why people use certain media and what benefits or gratification they get from it.
people use social media for interaction, killing time, entertainment, seeking and sharing of information, socialization, self-expression, education, surveillance and communication
b) 5 Basic Assumptions:
1) The audience is active and its media is goal oriented.
2) The initiative in linking need gratification to a specific media choice rests with the audience member.
3) The media compete with other sources of need satisfaction.
5) Value judgments regarding the audience's linking its needs to specific media or content should be suspended.
4) People are aware enough of their own media use, interests , and motives to be able to provide researchers with an accurate picture of that use.
c) Social situations:
Inspire the creation of the audience members' needs and their judgments which media will meet their needs.
3) Can impoverish real-life opportunities to satisfy certain needs, and the media can serve as substitutes or supplements.
4) Can elicit（得出） specific values, and their affirmation（肯定） and reinforcement can be facilitated by the consumption of related media materials.
2) Can create an awareness of problems that demand attention, information about which might be sought in the media.
5) Can provide realms of expectations of familiarity with media, which must be met to sustain membership in specific social groups.
1) Can produce tensions, conflicts, leading to pressure for their easement through media consumption.