Reasons for Development of Youth Culture (Growth of media and technology…
Reasons for Development of Youth Culture
Extended education - more leisure time than when beginning work, allowing young people to engage in youth cultures
- Central feature of youth in modern society - fun. Constant search for excitement that cuts across all other sources of identity.
Growth of media and technology
- media enables/encourages people to aqcuire a seperate identity from child and adult "generation gap"
Grwoth in youth culture due to exciting trends to follow
- Youth scapegoated in news for problems in society (moral panics)
Many magazines, TV and films aimed at a specific young audiences
Growth in consumer products aimed at young people
- Increasinly buy and choose products which go with a certain image - how'd we like to be seen
- Young develop own youth culture with its own styles and behaviour etc. Listened to same music and wore similar clothes. 1950s - distincitve teenage fashions
Records, clothes, cosmetics, magazines etc.
Extension of full time education
Young people spend more time with others
Offers identity to express their individuality
- status mbiguity - formed sub cultures to gain status of a group for a sense of belonging
No initiation ceremony to mark end of childhood - prelonged depending on parents
Spending Power of young people in the 1950s
- late 50s - young had spending power of 5% of national consumer spending
Earn higher wages upon leaving school
Young not expected to give all wages to parents