What he gets away with
Getting a student to grade the finals.
Escapes the dangerous fire
1 )College class room. Students taking their final exams
2 )Walking across the campus quad; His student aid tells him about a fire in one of the buildings; also, the aide will grade the finals for Fisher (he's not grading them. The locker room for the men's football team
4) Goes back to his office and opens the package a friend has sent him: it has an empty liquor bottle and one red stilleto.
4b) There is a message included with the bottle: a clever message in latin. Part of the tradition.
7) Fish gets a visit to his office : the second part of the friend's package. He prepares the return package and slips in a pair of panties. Along with his message.
8) As he's walking out to deliver the package there is a scream and shouts of fire. Runs to one stairwell -- and it's blocked. From the other side, someone comes running and says that side is blocked too. That leaves the window -- on a third floor building.
8a) Not waiting for the fire service, Fish climbs down the window, managing to preserve his package.Nothing else in his office was of interest to him.
8b) He's greeted by a group of students and officials; he watches the conflagration consume the building.
9) Fisher is reassigned to a smaller, cramped basement office. He feels it is beneath him.
11) A delivery guy finds Fish in the cramped office. He chats up Fish: tells him he's the only survivor from the third floor who survived the fire.
12) He's surprised to be receiving a return package so soon after he sent one. But, he opens it up and finds the cowboy hat and a fetus inside; he's repulsed. His friends are never ones to stoop to such bad taste.
1 more item...
11a) Fish displays his selfishness by appearing more concerned about the package than his deceased co-workers. To that news, he appears ambivalent.
3) Reflects back on when this happened before. Defending the chief suspect in the case: Ashley Nova
5) Daydreams about the visit he got from Ashley after he got her off free.
6) Ashley was a member of the Women Patriot Grassroots League: A client for his firm. An important client who his firm wants to keep happy.
10) Flashback to Fish walking into his firm. Walking past to where his new office will be.
10a) A fellow associate says: "well it's you this year. You're the last man standing in the partner sweepstakes." And 'how did you get that arsonist off free?". "Are you going to be helping with discovery in the Randall cases files? " "No sir, I've got associate reviews to write." "Fish, how do you get reassigned off the worst imaginable assignment ." "You asked how I'm going to make partner? Well it's because I don't complain when I'm asked to do discovery." "You'd complain about it if you didn't manage to weasel out of it in the first place. How do you get out of everyhting?"
15) Flashback to when he was working late at night and Ashley came to visit him in his office. He's working on the reviews he told his friends about.
16) reviews the report he's writing about Didion.
16a) Stops writing and looks at the gift box he's received: Inside are cuff links with the icon of a Fish.
16b) he gets a call from Cookie -- ("i knew you'd be working this early. You and I are cut from the same mold Fisher. Can't wait to have you as part of the family.", he wants to come in and see him in the morning. Fish hedges.
1 more item...
17) Next morning, Fish announces he isn't going to meet with Cookie, even if the man is here waiting for him. Stephanie comes in and tells him to think again: this can push him over the top as partner if he brings in Maddox Confectionary
18) Having been scolded, Fish sits down with Cookie Maddox. Then Ashley arrives to return a shirt, she claims belongs to Fisher.
2 more items...
3a) "Your honor, the evidence against my client is entirely circumstantial.
All along, Fish doesn't pay Ashley much attention; he's using her.
Doesn't take her seriously. Doesn't see her as a threat.