Encourage a healthy diet to include high-nutrient foods such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and low-fat dairy and protein products (both child and adolescent).
• Continue to provide health care, including immunizations and dental care.
• Encourage developmentally appropriate play.
• Remember that autonomy and initiative are paramount, and offer toddler and child choice of nutritionally dense foods.
• Teach parents and child appropriate methods for good hygiene, including handwashing, covering mouth when coughing or sneezing, etc.
• Mandate use of seatbelts while riding in vehicle.
• Toddler, 20 to 40 lb: Front-facing safety seat secured in rear seat
• Child, more than 40 lb: Secured in booster seat with lap and shoulder belt
• Children should wear protective helmets when riding tricycles and bicycles.
• Maintain immunization schedule as recommended.