Impact of colonial rule on Indian society :
Social background of Indian nationalism.
• Impact of British Rule- Self sufficient Village Community-Causes of destruction and consequences, Indebtedness of peasantry, Decline of rural and urban Handicrafts and Artisans
• Emergence of new Social Classes and Intermediaries.
Modernization of Indian tradition.
• Historical basis of Indian Society : Traditional Hindu social organization,
• Indian Society – Traditional bases - Varnashrama and dharma; unity and diversity; cultural pluralism and Unitarianism ,Doctrine of Karma , Ashram Vyavastha , Purushartha and Samskars;
• Socio-cultural dynamics through the ages impact of Buddhism, Islam , Christianity and the West, factors responsible for continuity and change.
• Modernity and tradition, contestation.
-Protests and movements during the colonial period.