GCSE HISTORY ELIZABETHAN ENGLAND PART 2 (RIDOLFI: 1571 (ONE OF POPES SPIES…
GCSE HISTORY ELIZABETHAN ENGLAND PART 2
CATHOLIC CHALLENGE TO ELIZABETHS NEW SOCIETY STRUCTURE.
COUNTER-REFORMATION- the campaign from catholic church against protestantism.
1566, pope issued instruction that catholics should not attend church of England services.
Religious war in France 1562
1564- Treaty of Troyes, confirmed once and for all that Calais belonged to France.
TREATY OF EDINBURGH 1560- Mary would give up her claim to the ENGLISH THRONE however Mary never approved the treaty.
THE DUTCH REVOLT
In the 16th century Netherlands belonged to Spanish King Philip II. CATHOLIC!!!
England traded with the Netherlands and also the Netherlands was very close to England so could be a way in for the spanish to invade England.
1567, Alba sent to Netherlands with army of 10,000 men to put down the revolt,
1550's, spanish brought the Spanish inquisition to Netherlands,
By 1568, it had been defeated.
ELIZABETH'S ISSUES IN SCOTLAND
1560, Elizabeth helped Scotland protestants defeat Mary of Guise who had been ruling Scotland for her daughter MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS
Elizabeth secretly send money and eventually sent troops aswell.i
Rebellion ended with Treaty of Edinburgh 1560. Treaty said Mary would gave up her claim to the English throne. but never agreed
MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS ARRIVAL IN ENGLAND 1568.
Mary stayed in England in captivity however remained a threat to Elizabeth
MARY was under court case for Darnleys murder.
Couldnt send her back to Scotland as she would be charged of disposing an anointed monarch.
REVOLT OF NORTHERN EARLS (1569)
Why the earls revolted:
1) they wanted catholicism restored in England
2) the earls lost a great deal of influence at court when Elizabeth came to thrown in 1558
3) Elizabeth refused to name an heir
4) MQS could replace Elizabeth.
WAR COULD HAPPEN IF ELIZABETH DIES AND DOES NOT NAME AN HEIR
Earls of 1) NORTHUMBERLAND AND WESTMORLAND raise rebel forces
2) forces would march towards London and Spanish troops would support
3) DUKE OF NORFOLK OVERTHROWN LONDON GOVERNMENT.
4) MQS READY TO MARRY DON AND TAKE OVER THROWN.
1) Norfolk arrested when Elizabeth found out about plot from Robert Dudley (September 1569)
2) went to durham and performed mass
3) Spanish troops never arrived
4) Elizabeth raised an army. of 14,000 men and she executed 450 rebels
Pope excommunicated Elizabeth in 1570 when he issued Papa; Bull
APRIL 1571, parliament passed acts saying It was treason to claim Elizabeth was not queen.
FIRST AND MOST SERIOUS REBELLIOUS ACTS OF CATHOLICS AGAINST ELIZABETH.
ENDED INFLUENCE OF PERCY AND NEVILLE FAMILIES.
prompted harsher treatment of catholics.
ONE OF POPES SPIES IS ROBERTO RIDOLFI.
Arranged a plot to murder Elizabeth
Ridolfi had letter signed by Duke of Norfolk declaring he was catholic and would lead rebellion if Philip ii supported.
Philip II told Alba to prepare 10,000 men to send to England.
HOWEVER SIR WILLIAM CECIL uncovered the plot.
DUKE OF NORFOLK EXECUTED JUNE 1572.
However Elizabeth would not sign Mary's death warrant.
1) the plot reinforced threat posed by catholics so soon after papal bull
2) reinforced threat from Spain
3) Elizabeth therefore tried to improve relations with Spain.