A Mind For Numbers (BIG IDEA #4 FOCUSED VS. DIFFUSED MODE ( Focus Mode
A Mind For Numbers
BIG IDEA #3 REFRAMING
- You need to believe that you can learn something
- For BIG changes start with SMALLER wins
- Sometimes what is label as Negative, can be Positive
- Taking breaks from Deep Work sessions is beneficial to long-term learning (step away). That's how brains work
- Learn about learning can help you reframe a lot of thoughts and things in life
- Happiness is solving problems (Ref: "The Subtle Art of not giving a F*ck" and "The Obstacle is The Way")
- You must learn to reframe your problems into steps in the journey
- Imposter Syndrome: A feeling that you are "in over your head" or "out of place"
- The person who feels uncomfortable will do better that the coky one. The "Imposter" will focus more
- Underconfidence is often more useful than Overconfidence
BIG IDEA #5 CHUNKING
- This is what we really need to know for learning effectively
- The better your expertise the more patterns you can recall (Chess master: 3,000 patterns)
- Ref: Anders Erickson calls them Mental Represntations
- Chunk: a skill or piece of information that you're able to recall very quickly and easily
- The more you use a pattern the more richer and deeper it becomes
- We do chunking in multiple aspects of out life (language, sports, academics etc.)
- Chunking requires iteration
- If you can't extemporaneously recall a piece of information, it's not chunked
- Chunk something = You learned something
- If you cannot quickly bring a piece of information from your long-term memory into your short-term memory then you haven't chunked it (You have work to do)
- Test yourself: I really chunked this information?
- Ask yourself: What do I want to chunk?
- Is better to chunk with awareness (you can do it without awareness)
- When you can chunk one topic, you can learn related topics on different domains (transferable skills)
- A key aspect of good learning are metaphors if used correctly
BIG IDEA #10 GO TIME
- When youre nervous, tell yourself you're excited
- Breath correctly through your diaphragm
- There's a balance between too little or too much anxiety (both extremes are negative)
- Tell yourself: "I am anxious to do my best"
- Sleep is important (never brag about not sleeping)
- This is the ultimante Metaskill (Ref: 7th habit of Highly Effective People)
- Barbara was a terrible student
- She also followed her passion and boxed herself in and nobody knocked to her door (Ref: Carl Newport - Don't follow your passion)
- She then Second Skilled...