Alcibiades I (Key Points (Alcibiades Know about Politics? (From himself?…
Alcibiades want to enter a career of Politic, But what is politic?
war and peace; wage war on those treat us unjustly.
All good things are just
So need to determine what is just and unjust.
Alcibiades proven lack of knowledge(of politic, of good and evil, of expedient and inexpedient), so what need to be done now to improve?by what everyone should be "good" at
- Good in transacting business.> Good in managing other men.
- he thinks goodness consists in the unanimity of the citizens,
- city better? 'When there is unanimity, such as exists between husband and wife.
- 'When there is unanimity, such as exists between husband and wife.' Then, when husbands and wives perform their own special duties, there can be no unanimity between them
- Alcibiades admits ignorance
- gymnastic improve feet (a thing itself),
shoes-making improves shoes(a thing belongs to it)
- The art which takes care of our belongings appears not to be the same as that which takes care of ourselves?
We need to know ourselves before we could be improved##
- Our self is the soul, for the soul rules over body
The evil and unjust should have no power,--they should be the slaves of better men than themselves. None but the virtuous are deserving of freedom.
Everyone must know himself, not his body or things of the body
Self-knowledge can be obtained only by looking into the mind and virtue of the soul
Also a theme in "The Apology"
If we do not know our self -> doesn't know what belongs to ourselves or belongs to other -> not fit in politic
- Early dialogues
-Socrates + Alcibiades
brief introduction of Socrates, Plato and Alcibiades
- 429? - 347 BCE. aristocratic family
- Raised during Peloponnesian war
- Central doctrine: theory of form, soul
- "Plato dialogues", features. Exception. Period (early, mid, late)
- rich and good looking
- born 450 BCE
- Sicilian expedition call back
- Switching between Sparta, Persian and Athens during the war.
- born 470 BCE
- Manson's son
- Served as hoplites in 3 battles
- death by charges "Impiety" and "corrupting the young". Part 3 meetup
- Alcibiades, a ambitious young man want to participate in Athen's politic, Socrates question his ability
- After discussion Alcibiades knows he doesn't have the quality to be participate in politic, and continues to cultivate virtue as advised by Socrates
Way to justice
only when you think you didn't know something then will you go investigate and find it out. Here Alcibiades proven wrong he learnt from "public", who disagree with each other. People disagree with things can't "know" something and be teacher