SECURITY MEASURED (• A firewall is a network security system
• A firewall is a network security system
designed to prevent unauthorized access from
other network to a private network.
A personal firewall is a utility program that
detects and protects a personal computer and
its data from unauthorized intrusions.
Firewall solution is used to overcome many
risks such as malicious code infection,
unauthorized access, and information theft.
• Examples of stand-alone firewall software:
– BitDefender Firewall Security
– McAfee Internet Security
– Norton Personal Firewall
• Some electrical devices can be used as
measures to safeguard against system failure
that are caused by electrical problems.
– surge protector – used to protect against electrical
– UPS (uninterruptible power supply) – used to
provide power during a temporary or permanent
loss of power.
• Antivirus is a program that protects a
computer against viruses by identifying and
removing any viruses found in memory, on
storage media, or on incoming files.
also protect against
worms and trojan horses, and also contains
spyware removers, internet filters and other
• Examples of antivirus program:
– Norton AntiVirus
– Kaspersky Internet Security
– AVG Internet Security
User Identification and Authentication
• A security measure that defines who can
access a computer, when they can access it,
and what actions they can take while
accessing the computer.
– Identification verifies that an individual is a valid
– Authentication verifies that the individual is the
person he/she claims to be.
• Three ways to implement user identification
– Use username and password
– Use biometric devices
– Use possessed objects
• Human aspect which refers to user’s
awareness is probably the most important
among all security measures.
Users awareness and knowledge about all the
security risks will help users to take proper
measures to prevent and overcome the risks
they may face when using computers and
– Aware of risks of software or hardware theft.
– Make a routine check to detect and clean new
virus, worm or other malicious threat.
– Learn about proper ways of using antivirus,
backing up data, or using email.
– Encryption is a process of converting readable
data into unreadable characters to prevent
unauthorized access of files or data.
– Decryption is the process that reverses encryption
• A backup is a duplicate of a file, program or
disk that can be used if the original is lost,
damaged or destroyed.