TYPES OF COMPUTER RISKS (Malicious Code ( any code that is
TYPES OF COMPUTER RISKS
any code that is
intended to cause undesired effects, security
breaches or damage to a system.
• Symptoms of malicious codes infection:
– Operating system runs much slower than usual
– Operating system does not start up
– Operating system shuts down unexpectedly
– Files become corrupted or disappear
will be infected or activated on
a computer when a user:
– Opens infected e-mail attachments
– Opens an infected file
– Runs an infected program
– Connects an unprotected computer to a network
Tips to prevent malicious code:
– Scan all downloaded programs for viruses and
– Install an antivirus program on all of your
computers. Update the software and the virus
signature files regularly.
– Install a personal firewall program.
– Stay informed about new virus alerts and virus
• Software theft is the act of stealing software
media, intentionally erasing programs, illegally
copying a program, or illegally registering a
• Information theft is the act of stealing
personal or confidential information, such as a
person’s name, bank account number, or
company’s financial data.
• Identity theft is a specific type of information
theft which occurs when someone steals and
uses other’s personal information, usually for
a financial gain.
• Tips to avoid information/identity theft:
– Only make purchases on trusted sites.
– Know how to spot phishing.
– Secure your network.
– Block the spam.
• Hardware theft is the act of stealing computer
equipment such as smartphone, tablet,
laptop, LCD projector, or CPU
• Causes of system failure:
– electrical power problems (such as overvoltage
and under voltage)
– aging hardware
– natural disasters (such as fire, flood, or storm)