Types of Adapter Card
• FireWire Card
• Modem Card
• Network Card
• Sound Card
• USB Card
• Video Card
• MIDI Card
• TV Tuner Card
• PC-to-TV converter Card
• Connects to FireWire devices.
• FireWire devices are devices that require
faster data transmission speed such as digital
video cameras, laser printers, and DVD drives.
Connects to other computers through
telephone lines, cable television lines, or other
A modem is a communications device that
allows a computer to send and receive data
through telephone lines, other cables, or
through radio signals.
To connect to other computers and
peripherals via a network cable.
• Some network interface cards also allows
• Connects microphone, or speakers.
• Enhances the sound generating capabilities of
a personal computer by allowing sound to be
input through a microphone and output
through external speakers or headphones.
• Connects to USB devices.
• USB adapter cards either add USB
functionality, or add extra ports to your
• Connects a monitor.
• Converts computer output into a video signal
that travels through a cable to the monitor.
• Also called display card, or graphics card.
TV Tuner Card
• Allows television signals to be received by a
• Allows viewing of television channels on the
An adapter card, or expansion card, is a circuit
board that enhances functions of the
component of a system unit and/or provides
connections to peripherals.
Examples of peripherals: modem, printer, scanner,