• Makes communication become cheaper, quicker,
and more efficient using email, instant
messaging, video conference, social networking
websites and various mobile applications.
• Helps people to stay connected with friends and
family through social media and apps such as
facebook, twitter, whatsapp, skype, and facetime.
• Provide unlimited access to education materials
such as online learning videos, ebook, and
• Provide convenience to people through online
applications such as online shopping, online
reservation, and online payment.
• A private network of an organization which
uses internet technologies to share
organization’s information or operations with
• Intranet applications include phone
directories, email address, event calendars,
procedure manuals, employee benefit
information, and internal job postings.
• Example of intranet:
– KMK Intranet – provides email, Student
information system, Web server, printer server,
and access to the Internet.
• Expose people to risk of information theft
when they use Internet applications such as
email, online banking or facebook.
• Expose users’s computers to malware threats
such virus virus, worm, or trojan horse which
can easily infect computers through the
• Cause addiction to surfing, online gambling,
social networking, and gaming which may
result in social isolation among youngsters.
• A private network of an organization that
securely share parts of organization’s
information with its suppliers, vendors,
partners, customers, or other organizations.
• Facilitate communication and business
operations between the organization and
related people or organizations.
• Example of extranet:
– Package shipping company that allow their
customers to access their intranet to print
shipment bills, schedule pick-ups, and even track
• Internet is composed of more than 750 million
• Host or server is a computer that has two-way
access to other computers:
– Receives requests
– Replies to those requests
• Both public and private organizations own
networks on the Internet.
– Each organization is responsible only for
maintaining its own network.
– No single person, company, institution, or
government agency controls or owns the Internet.
– World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) is an
international community that work together to
develop standards and guidelines for the Internet.
• The Internet is a worldwide collection of
networks that connects millions of businesses,
government agencies, educational
institutions, and individuals.