(3) Theoretical Approaches to
Research didn't always support the prediction that indiv driven by the motive to avoid failure, --> avoid intermed risk --> and demo low performance
- Humans as God-like
View humans as being active & initiating actions thru subject interpretation of the achievement context
- Humans as Judges
View humans as actively processing (int / ext) events
- developing expectations reg. future consequences rather than auto behaving in response to ext. stimuli.
- Therefore may not be rational in making decisions & may not have full info-processing ability.
- Define motivation
- Trace the history of motivation theory using the metapors by Weiner.
Why do indiv want to engage in mastery attempts?
- involves social, cognitive and physical dimensions
Goal perspective affected by:
- Disposition / Personality
- Is there a right theory? No, some may need to be combined.
- Need to consider complexity of info processing, cognitions and feedback, etc.
- Humans as Machines
Views humans as passive & driven by psychological drives