SYSTEM SOFTWARE (• Utility Program
– A program that performs a specific…
• Utility Program
– A program that performs a specific task related to
the management of computer functions and
• Disk cleanup is a utility program that searches
for and removes unnecessary files.
• Examples of unnecessary files are downloaded
program files, temporary Internet files,
deleted files, or unused program files.
• File compression is a utility program that
shrinks the size of files.
• Files are compressed to free up space on
storage media, or to attach in email.
• Compressed files sometimes are called zipped
• File manager is a utility program that performs
functions related to file management, such as:
– Displaying a list of files
– Organizing files in folders
– Copying, renaming, deleting, moving, and sorting
files and folders
– Creating shortcut
• Antivirus program is a utility program that
protects a computer against malware such as
virus, worm, and trojan horse.
Spyware and Adware remover
• Spyware/Adware remover is a utility program
that detects and deletes spyware/adware.
– Spyware is a program placed on a computer
without the user’s knowledge that secretly
collects information about the user.
– Adware is a software that displays unwanted ads
when a user is online, collects marketing data and
other information without the user's knowledge
• Disk defragmenter is a utility program that
reorganizes files and unused space on a hard
disk so that OS access data more quickly and
program runs faster.
Backup and Restore
• A backup utility allows users to copy files to
another storage medium.
• A restore utility reverses the process and
returns backed up files to their original form.
– Programs designed to make users more
productive and assist them with personal tasks
Word Processing Software
• An application software that allows users to
create and manipulate documents containing
mostly text and sometimes graphics.
• Usage - to create letters, brochures, reports,
newsletters, or journals
• An application software that allows user to
organize data in rows and columns and to
perform calculations on the data
• An application software that allows users to
create visual aids for presentations to
communicate ideas, messages, and other
information to a group.
• A software that allows user to create access
and manage a database.
– Database is a collection of data organized in a
manner that allows access, retrieval and use of
• A Web browser, or browser, is an application
software that allows users to access and view
– Internet Explorer (Proprietary)
– Firefox (Open source)
– Opera (Open source)
– Safari (Open source)
– Google Chrome (Open source)
• Operating System
– A set of programs that coordinates all the
activities among computer hardware devices
Functions of OS:
Start and Shut Down a Computer
• OS involves in the process of starting and
shutting down a computer.
• The process of starting or restarting a
computer is called booting
Provide User Interface
• OS provides user interface that allows user to
interact with a computer .
• User interface is the part of OS that controls
how users enter data and instructions and
how information is displayed on the screen.
• 2 types of user interface:
– Command-line user interface
– Graphical user interface (GUI)
• Some OS which are multitasking allows user to
run multiple programs concurrently.
• The active program will be displayed on the
desktop, while other programs are at the
• OS allocates data & instructions to memory
while being processed, monitors the contents
of memory, and release the contents from
memory when the processor no longer
• The purpose of memory management is to
optimize the use of RAM.
• OS determines the order in which tasks are
• A task, or job, is an operation that the
• Tasks include receiving data from input device,
processing instructions, sending information
to output device and transferring items
between storage and memory
• OS will configure any new device added to the
computer so that it can work with the
• Program that tells OS how to communicate
with a specific device is called a device driver
Establish Internet Connection
• OS provides a means to establish Internet
• Some OS may automatically detects and
configures some broadband connections.
• Otherwise, OS provides a network set up
wizard that guides user to make a connection
to the Internet.
• OS typically contains a performance monitor
• A performance monitor is a program that
assesses and reports information about
various computer resources and devices such
as processor, disk, memory and network
Provide File Management and Built-In Utilities
• OS allows users to manage files such as to
– save, copy, move, delete, search,and sort files.
Update Software Automatically
• Automatic update feature in OS automatically
provides updates to the program.
Control a Network
• A server OS organizes and coordinates how
multiple users access and share resources on a
• Resources include hardware, software, data,
• OS provides setting to create user account and
and establish permissions to resources.
• These permissions define who can access
certain resources and when they can access