WEBPAGE NAVIGATION AND WEB SEARCHING (Web Searching (Types of Search Tools…
WEBPAGE NAVIGATION AND WEB SEARCHING
• Browsing, web surfing, or navigating the Web
refers to the activity of using a Web browser
to view web pages, and to move from one
Web page to another through hyperlinks.
• Hyperlink or Link is built-in connection to
another related Web page or part of a Web
Ways of Navigation
• By using hypertext
• Refers to text which contains link to other text.
• Mostly used in text-based Web page such as
• By using hypermedia
• Refers to text or image that contains link not
only to text, but also to other forms of media
such as graphic, audio and video.
• Combines text-based links with graphics,
audio, and video links.
• Search tool is a program available on the
Internet to help you find information among
the millions of documents on the Web.
• People use search tools to search for specific
information on the Web.
Types of Search Tools
• Search Engine
• Search engine is a search tool that finds Web
sites, Web pages, images, and other
information related to a specific topic.
• User can find Web page or information by
typing a word or phrase, called search text, in
the text box provided.
• Used in locating information for which you do
not know an exact Web address or are not
seeking a particular Web site.
• Subject Directory
• Subject directory is a search tool that classifies
Web pages in an organized set of categories
• User can locate Web page or information by
clicking the links through different levels,
moving from the general to the specific.
Examples of Search Tools
• Google (
• Yahoo! (
• MSN (
• Gigablast (
• Excite (
• Open Directory Project (
These search tools offer the functionality of
both a search engine and a subject directory