Living Alcohol-free (Important Vocab (Alcoholism- a disease in which a…
- a disease in which a person has a psycho/physiological dependence on alcohol.
- excessive use of alcohol.
- a condition that causes the user to have a chemical need for a drug.
- someone that is addicted to alcohol.
- the belief that a drug is needed to function properly and feel good.
Factors that influence alcohol use:
36 people die daily because of alcohol-related car crashes.
Benefits to staying alcohol-free:
Maintaining a healthy body.
Establishing healthy relationships.
Avoiding risky behaviors, illegal activities, and violence.
Achieving your goals.
It is illegal for anyone under 21 to drink alcohol.
Using alcohol can lead to risks that have serious consequences.
Life without alcohol
Benefits of sobriety
The Impact of Alcohol Abuse
Blood Alcohol Content
- the amount of alcohol in a person's blood, measured by a percentage.
Fetal Alcohol Syndrome
- a group of alcohol-related birth defects that can cause physical and mental issues.
Dr. Phil- Alcohol Abuse
Facts about alcohol abuse
Negative short-term effects of alcohol-
Reduced ability to judge speed/distance
Increased risk-taking behaviors
Reduced concentration, more forgetful
What is a DUI?
Driving Under Influence- If you have too much alcohol in your blood (0.08%) you will be arrested for DUI. You could end up:
Injuring or killing someone while driving
Going to jail, getting a police record, and a possible lawsuit
With severely restricted driving privaleges/confiscation of license
Possibly canceled insurance policies
Fetal Alcohol Syndrome is extremely dangerous, so if you know you are pregnant,
stay away from alcohol.