COM SCI UNIT 2 (ELECTRONIC IMPERIALISM
Transborder data flow…
COM SCI UNIT 2
ISSUE 1- GLOBAL MEDIA FLOWS~ After 1945 world was mostly monocentric, but the way the center projected power over the periphery was qualitatively different. ~ US power= from economy- not their military strengths~ Today US projects its power subtly through cultural means.~ Developing nations consider the import of US films to be a new kind of cultural invasion. The strength of the effect of this cultural invasion debatable, but undeniable.~The lateral flow between periphery countries is small.
~ 1970s debate started regarding the one-sidedness of the global communication flow~ Nations called for a new world information order (NWIO)
-Changing this asymmetrical pattern and making it more balanced. ~ Problems with implementation of the new system:
~ The US is strongly against the NWIO because it goes against the 1st Amendment: Freedom of the Press
- It encourages regulation of info flows by nefarious (evil) governments, which might attempt to control the national media for their own domestic political purposes.
- Regulating electronic communication flows is becoming increasingly difficult as the technology becomes ever more elusive to control.
- their argument holds some thinly veiled hypocracy, as newspapers and the electronic media have gradually become concentrated into large conglomerates.
- ordinary citizens no longer have easy access to media which created a top-down comm, or one-way flow of comm.
- 1st Amendment basically protects the corporations that own the media rather than free speech itself. What good is free speech when only a few people own loudspeakers?