The Management of Organizational Justice (How to create Perceptions of…
The Management of Organizational Justice
What is Original justice?
Prescription Vs. Description
Description: seek to
understand why people view certain events as just,
as well as the consequences that follow from these
Prescription: seek to logically
determine what sorts of actions truly are just.
Why Employees Care about Justice
THREE COMPONENTS OF JUSTICE
● Consistency: All employees are treated the same.
● Lack of Bias: No person or group is singled out for discrimination or illtreatment.
● Accuracy: Decisions are based on accurate information.
● Representation of All Concerned: Appropriate stakeholders have input into
● Correction: There is an appeals process or other mechanism for fixing
● Ethics: Norms of professional conduct are not violated.
● Interpersonal Justice: Treating an employee with dignity, courtesy, and
● Informational Justice: Sharing relevant information with employees.
● Equity: Rewarding employees based on their contributions.
● Equality: Providing each employee roughly the same compensation.
● Need: Providing a benefit based on one’s personal requirements.
Working Together: The Three Components of Justice Interact
The ill effects of injustice can
be at least partially mitigated if at least one component
of justice is maintained.
The impact of Original Justice
Builds Trust and Commitment
Improves Job Performance
Fosters Employee Organizational
Builds Customer Satisfaction and Loyalty
How to create Perceptions of Justice
Reward Systems: Justly Balancing Multiple Goals(The Two-Factor Model in Just Reward
Conflict Management: You Don’t Have to Win(ow the Process by Outcome Interaction Helps Us
Selection Procedures: Positive Job Candidates(The Justice Paradox in Selection Procedures.)
Layoffs: Softening Hardship(The Fair Process Effect in Layoffs)
Performance Appraisals: Keeping Score Fairly(A Due Process Approach to Performance Appraisal.)