Key points from exec summary.
• While open access may cause a loss in rights and reproduction revenue in limited cases, it can also lead to significant new opportunities in fundraising and brand licensing.
• Open access results in cost savings associated with rights and reproduction management overhead.
• Open access allows organizations to realign staff with more mission-critical activities, resulting in more efficient and less costly image management and digitization functions.
• By furthering research, educational and creative activities, open access also advances the missions of these institutions.
• Open access significantly increases use and awareness of an institution’s collections.
• Open access creates a strengthened and more relevant brand.