L. Thompson 1st period 2016 Grendel
A Coggle Diagram about ch. 5
- Grendel drifts down (mentally/physically?) to dragon realm.
- dragon lives in cave with bats and treasure
- dragon described as having glowing scales, that flare every time he breathes, old man voice.
- grendel wants to know about shaper, his place in the universe, and meaning of life
- dragon says theres no purpose to life, in a million-million years the world will end and nothing done will matter
- grendel insists theres something to shapers stories, somehow they are becoming real
- dragon says he sees all of time from a mountain top, the beginning and end at the same time
- humans have their theories about things, theories are more like spiderwebs than bridges, but rush across chasms and sometimes make it
- dragon says that being an adversary to the humans makes them better, if grendel disappeared they would find a new enemy.
- dragon tells grendel to hoard gold (cause thats what he does) tells grendel to do what makes him happy
), ch. 3
(grendel observes that they are desperate bands who war and fights with neighbors
, hrothgar thinks of working with his closest neighbors
, observes that humans are flawed, violent, angry, vicious, lying, deceitful, selfish, braggarts, etc.
, humans build roads, and start to organize a society
, messenger is sent when bands attack, and fighters sent to defend them
, shaper shows up to mead hall, auditions to be harper/singer/storyteller. he's good so previous harper sneaks out back to look for work elsewhere
and shaper sings history of danes in a way the makes them sound noble and righteous, so everyone, even grendel believes it
- grendel surprised by guard; discovers dragon charmed his flesh. weapons can't harm him
- grendel kills guard in fit laughter and nihilism (to prove dragon right)
- hero appears. challenges grendel
- accident grendel mocks him and throw apples at unferth and refuses to fight or kill him
- unferth follows grendel to his cave; nearly dies.
- unferth talks a bug deal about what a hero is but nearly dead and words are hollow
- grendel decides not to kill unferth but to rob him of his dream of dying a heros death
), ch. 2
(gets caught in tree. attacked by bull protecting its calf
, hrothgar and men show up and wonder what grendel is
, humans think grendel is a fungus: then tree spirit
, realizes humans are thinkers/patternmakers
, humans still fearful and superstitious, react violently to uncertainty
and attack grendel, he bleeds, mother rescues him
), ch. 4
- Shaper continues to sing of greatness. hrothgar continues to increase the splendor of the mead hall
- hrothgar builds a great hall called hart and spreads his fame. people come to bask in the glory of his hall and hear the shaper.
- grendel finds dead man, robbed. demonstrating an extreme contrast between the civilized life on display at hart, and the ugly side of humanity
- grendel is overcome by the meanness of life and brings the dead body to the doors of hrothgar crying for peace and mercy
- Danes frightened by grendel an try to kill him, grendel realizes they might if they get the chance.
- Grendel understands the stories are made up but still wants them to be true. and part of the story.
) and ch. 1
(grendelsees a ram in heat and understands it is acting on only instinct. happens every spring
, lives with mom in a cave under a lake
, learn he's been raiding hrothgars meat hall going on 12 year. busts through the doors and they try to fight him, but he just kills them and takes the bodies to eat
and humans preform ritual with songs, pyre, and prayer