D. Mollohan 1st period 2016 Grendel
A Coggle Diagram about ch.5
(2 the dragon lives in a cave with bats on the ceiling an piles of treasure all over the floor.
- grendel drifts down mentally and physically to the dragon
, 3 the dragon is described as having glowing scales that flare up every time he breaths and his voice is like that of an old mans
, 4 grendel wants to know about the sharper. Grendel wants to know his place in the universe and what is the meaning of life
, 5 the dragon says there is no purpose to life that in a million -million years the universe will end and it won't matter what anyone did
, 6 grendel insists that there is something to the sharpers stories that somehow they are becoming real (propaganda)
, 7 the dragon says that he sees all of time as from a mountian tiptoe beginning and the end all at the same time
, 8 that humans have their theories about things and those theories are more like spiderwebs than bridges but that they rush across chasms on spiderwebs and sometimes they make it and they think that proves something.
, 9 the dragon tells grendel that by being an adversary to the humans he forces them to improve but that if grendel disappeared they would find a new enemy so ago nothing matters
and 10 he tells grendel hoard gold because thats what the dragon does basically he tells grendel to do what makes him happy cause in the end it won't matter
- then hrothgar comes up with the idea of working together with his closest neighbors
- grendel observes that they are disparate brands who war and fight needisily with their neighbors
- he observes that the humans are faced violent and angry vicious, lying , selfish braggarts
, 4.the humans build roads and begin to organize a society
- now when bands attack from father out a messenger is sent to hrothgar and he sends fighters to defend them.
- the sharper shows up at hrothgars mead hall and auditions to be the harper/singers,storyteller for the hall. he si so good that previous harper sneaks out the back to look for work else wear
- the sharper tells the history of the danes in a way that makes them sound noble and righteous and he sings it so well everyone even grendel believes it.
), ch 2
(Grendel gets caught in a tree and is attacked by a bull protecting its calf
, then hrothgar and wonder what grendel is.
, the humans think grendel is
a fungus then they think he's
a tree spirit.
, Grendel realizes that humans
are thinkers/ pattern makers
, the humans are still fearful and superstitious and react violently to uncertainty
and then they attack grendel and he bleeds from their attacks and then he is rescued by his mother
), ch 6.
- grendel is surprised by a guard and discovers that the dragon has chared his flesh the humans weapons can't harm him
, 2.grendel kills the guard in a fit laughter and nihilism as if to prove the dragon right
, 3.a hero apears and challeges grendel unferth
, 4 through a slip of accident grendel decides mock him and throw apples at unferth and refuses to fight or kill him
- unferth follows grendel back to his cave and nearly dies in the attemt
) and Ch.1
(Then we learn that he lives with his mom in a cave under a lake
, Then we learn that he has been raiding hrothgars mead hall for 11 going on 12 years he busts in the doors and they try to fight him but he just kills them and takes the bodies to eat
, Grendel sees a ram in heat and understands that it is operating only on instinct this happens every spring
and the humans perform a ritual (funeral) with songs a pyre and prayer.