The university and the state in the global age. Renegotiating the traditional social contract in Europe? (Kwiek, M., 2012)
A Coggle Diagram about INTRODUCTION
(Ideas matter: neoliberalism and New Public Management led to new goals and intepretations of higher education
, Higher education treated as a public service and a component of the welfare state.
, Re-negotiating the social contract concerning the welfare state
, Underlying assumptions
1) massification of higher education closely linked to the development of the welfare state (CEE countries exception), and still in a full swing?
2) knowledge-based societies and economies vs. traditional higher eductation --> deep reform process (behind) and ahead. Increasing expectations from the government, less financial support
and Insitutions operate in parallel, and go through changes in interaction with each other and their surroundings
- Traditional relationships between higher education and the state are changing
- Essential to understand the inevitable change and its reasons in teaching and research. In connection to changes in public sector and markets.
- Public higher education becoming main stream in public sector
- Further reforms in teaching and research are inevitable
), THE MODERN UNIVERSITY AND THE WELFARE STATE
and THE MODERN UNIVERSITY AND THE MODERN NATION-STATE