Discuss the view that vulnerability is a function of demographic and socio-economic factors
A Coggle Diagram about Factors
(High education enables a community to understand risk and heed warnings.
, Transport: Irrawaddy = no roads; boat transport only
- US: extensive road networks, airports for evacuation, transport to rescue, but also distribution of emergency aid.
, Communication: receiving warning and requesting help.
, Building design
), Hurricane Katrina
- Access to improved water: 99%
- adult literacy rates: 100%
- people per doctor: 2.45/1000
- Healthcare expenditure: $6000 per capita
- 78% internet users
- 73% cell phone users
- 819/1000 motor vehicle owners
- GNI/C: $55,000
- %people living below $2: 15%
- The poor were a more vulnerable population- many African-American (ethnicity and disparity)
- Preparation: levees, ability to plug levees and pump water after 4 days
- Prediction: 56 hour prediction and warning to evacuate
- Prevention: levees mitigate storm surge - a characteristic of storm surge
), TC Nargis
- Access to improved water: 81%
- adult literacy rates: 93%
- people per doctor: .61 /1000
- Healthcare expenditure: $4.5 per capita
- 0.22% internet users
- 1.25% cell phones
- 7/1000 motor vehicle owners
- GNI/C: $1300
- %people living below $2: 33%
- Prediction: No monitoring system - India forewarned
(Children, women, elderly, ethnicity
), Socio (politico) economics?
, The susceptibility of a community...
, Other factors playing a role in the susceptibility of a community?
- Govt. educating on preparing for and reacting to hazard events; evacuation procedures.
- US strict guidelines on building design - flooding an issue, no wind damage.